The von Simson family has commissioned us to plan the future of the historic villa on the property on Schwielowsee, with its extensive gardens. The owner has entrusted us with analysing the spatial structures and proposing an architectural redesign. This also involves determining the interests of a variety of stakeholders and developing proposals on how a sense of tradition and economic necessity can be reconciled. Shortly before the First World War, the Berlin financial community moved to the countryside: the automobile and railroad made it possible for financiers to move to rural areas and still pursue their business every day in Berlin. One of the first was the Berliner Bank Director Georg von Simson, who bought the mansion of a Potsdam master mason in Caputh around 1900. Until about 1920, he had it converted and expanded by E. Horn. In the GDR, the two properties that were owned by the family until 1945 were expropriated. After Reunification, the descendants of the former owner – a large community of heirs – regained the Villa and the two properties. The heirs now face the question of how to deal with the site and its historical breaks, including the structural consequences.
|Location||Caputh, Gemeinde Schwielowsee|
|Client||von Simson Caputh Grundstücks GmbH & Co. KG|
|Team||Andrea Weisser, Reiner Beelitz|